Monday, August 24, 2009

Two Interns

Hi, Latoya and Kim.

I read your introductions, but don't know you all well enough yet. Soon, though, as the course heats up, we'll all get to know each other better and better.

You two are the only ones interning in EDU 285 this semester, and I'm glad to have such young and energetic students. For one thing, maybe you will be more comfortable with blogging than I am. They tell me it's not hard at all.

However it is--easy or hard--we are going to conduct this course through this blog. Since interning is experential learning with lots of interaction among us all, the blog is well suited for this kind of distance education.

So this is what we'll do to start:
  • We are finally all properly introduced through Blackboard's Discussion Board. Now, please send in a comment to this posting of mine about what your co-op placement is, including the following:

The name of the facility where you are placed and its description
The facility's location
An indication of how often you work per week (how many hours)
An indication of whether you are a paid employee, director, or a volunteer
A description of your duties
A story relating something that has happened to you while working, something:
humorous
scarey
significant, and/or noteworthy
Your degree of satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the placement.

Can't wait to read your comments. Add anything else you want, too.

5 comments:

  1. I am going to be interning/volunteering (non paid) at my son's elementary school Union Elementary in Brunswick county, NC.
    I am going to try to go in everyday for approx.3 hours, although I may end up going more some does and not making it others. I'm interning for COE 121 & EDU 285.
    Duties will be similiar to that of a teacher assistant: making copies, individual aid to students, organizing, etc...
    I have not yet started working. School just started today and I have to go in the morning to take them my criminal records check and set up a time to do orientation. The facilitator hopes to have my starting by the first week of Sept.
    I am extremely pleased to be able to help out at Union. My goal is to be a teacher, but in the mean time I would love to hold down a job as a TA, so I am getting my foot in the door:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kim,
    I guess it's a little too early for me to have asked for all the information I did concerning your placement. There hasn't been enough time to relay any interesting stories when you haven't even started yet.

    But there is the matter of paperwork: do you have the workbook? Can you FAX me the "Required Forms" (828-627-4590)? GStamm

    ReplyDelete
  3. The workbook for COE121, yes. EDU 285 doesn't have one right? I will get the paperwork over to you by Friday. I have to go speak to the teacher tomorrow to finalize everything. I took in my criminal records checks today and was informed I was good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I faxed over the required forms today. Just want to make sure you got them all. I had to fax them 2x because the first time 1 of the papers got stuck and I wasen't sure which one didn't get through. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'M GOING TO CLOSE UP SHOP! I HAVE A FEELING THIS BLOG IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR ME, AND IF THIS IS SO THEN IT'LL BE A MESS FOR YOU. I INTEND TO USE BLACKBOARD EXCLUSIVELY FOR EDU 285. AND I INTEND TO IMPROVE THAT SITE AND COE 121 CONSIDERABLY. SEE YOU THERE FROM NOW ON. GSTAMM

    ReplyDelete